Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Story Of Gracie and Bella

Today I thought I'd write about my dogs:) Brandon brought home a pup named Gracie in 2005, shortly after he graduated from high school. She was the most precious baby!! She was lab shepard mix. She was wild as hell!! LOL!! She was very loving, and LOVED to play with her toys or run like the wind in the backyard. We had just lost our golden retriever Scrappy. I'll write about him at another time. It is to hard right now, even 6 years since he has been gone. We got him for Brian when he was 6, and we had to put him down when Brian was 19 and in his 2nd year of college.


Gracie was a blessing to us all, and she made us feel better. We still had Scrappy's baby, My beloved "Baybuh" better known as Kaiser Puppy. Again I'll have to dedicate a whole page to him. He died at home with us last September.

Gracie was 8 months old, when one day I didnt take her in my room as I normally did, to sleep, since I worked the night shift. My room was in the back of the house, and Brandon 's was in the front. When Brett and Brad got home from school, they took Gracie out to play. Instead of in the backyard, they took her out in the front. A ball was thrown, and Gracie ran after it. I was told, the neighbor down the street was speeding and she hit Gracie. The woman never even stopped.

Brandon heard her yelping, and immediately raced into my room to wake me up. Half asleep I staggered out in the front yard. Gracie had limped into our front yard. My neighbor Walt, picked her up and handed her to Bradley. I knew when I looked at her, that she wasnt going to make it. She was bleeding from her mouth and nose, but I got in the car with Brett and Brad, and raced her to the vet. We were about 5 minutes away from their office, when she died in Bradley's arms. He was begging her to stay, and he actually tried to give her cpr. He took her blood into his own mouth to try and save her. I have tears in my eyes even now, remembering. I dont know anyone with a bigger heart than my son Bradley. He is without a doubt the best of the best. I love you kiddo:)

We turned around and went home. I was by then hysterical, and someone called Brian at work to come home. When he got there, he found me on the back porch, holding my sweet girl, covered in blood, and sobbing. I was washing her. I think I was in shock. Brian had to take her from me, and bury her beside Scrappy. We were heartbroken. The boys were devasted, and I think blamed themselves. It was an accident, and they learned something from it. I have missed her every day since, and think of her often.

2 days later, I came home from work, and was laying with my head on Brians shoulder, and looked up at him and said can we go look at the shelter? He kind of rolled his eyes, but said yes, because he knew how devasted I was. I literally couldnt sleep, and would sit out back near her grave. We got to the shelter, and looked at the dogs. We saw one we thought about, so we filled out the paperwork. They were going to let us view the puppies as well, when a man walked in the door with Bella. Brian and I looked at each other and just knew we had to have her. I walked up and asked him if he was returning that dog. he said yes, because she tears everything up. Her name then was Lucy. I paid the 10 dollar return fee, as he didnt have it, and I told the woman I wanted her.

We went in the back with her, so they could see us interact, and fill the adoption form out. I had to sign that I knew she was  destructive. I signed away!! This was her 3rd time being returned, and she would have been put to sleep. I KNOW without a doubt that God sent us there that morning. I have had her for 5 years now, and she tore up 1 mini blind. She has been a complete joy to both of us. our entire family, really. She is so like Gracie!! Gracie had more black on her snout, but they could have been sisters! They both have a "mohawk" down their back when they are scared and running crazy in the backyard.Lol!! I named her Bella, because she is beautiful inside and out. When Brian got sick, she made him get up out of bed, and walk her. Whenever we have been sad, she lays her head on us and just knows. She is a constant source of joy to us all. The boys call her "Wilford"! As in Wilford Brimley. They say she has the "betes" because she is a little on the chunky side! Lol!! She is a princess, and she knows it! Without her, my heart would be broken. She is my best friend, next to Brian.

Bella has helped to "raise" Budweiser the beagle, Maggie, Brad and Ali's dog, and of course our new lab, Barrett. She is a momma dog without ever having had pups. She is very good to the grandbabies!! they climb all over her and hug her and she licks them in turn. I will always remember Gracie, and I think we were meant to get Bella. People say oh it is so great that you saved her. I always say no, we are the lucky ones, because she saved us:)

If you have pets, treat them well, and spay or neuter. So many good dogs need a home. I dread the day Bella and Barrett leave us, but if I get another dog, it would be from a shelter. Thanks for reading, and I hope you see why we love her so very much:)

No comments:

Post a Comment